HTC Desire… quietly brilliant

May 30th, 2010 12 Commented

Finally, I have become a proud owner of the HTC Desire, a successor of the HTC Legend and a gorgeous cousin of the well-known Google Nexus One. The box, the phone and its specifications are very similar to that of the Google Nexus One.

According to HTC, the Desire delivers intense brilliance, sharp contrast, and true colors on the expansive 3.7-inch AMOLED display. Its 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor makes the phone incredibly responsive as you multitask from app to app without skipping a beat, while the instinctive HTC Sense experience lets you wield the power of the HTC Desire with the greatest of ease.

HTC also promises you an unmatched viewing experience with the 3.7-inch AMOLED display.

It has a pretty sleek physical design, with a height of 119mm (4.7 inches), a width of 60mm (2.36 inches) and a thickness of 11.9mm (0.47 inch). It weighs 135 grams with battery.

Like most of the mobile phones out there, the box comes with a charger, USB cable, head pieces, and microSD storage card.

Unlike Google Nexus One, HTC Desire comes with physical buttons and a clickable optical trackpad (see below image). I personally like these buttons a lot, since I always get frustrated over my wifey’s Google Nexus One interface buttons as I sometimes miss a few inputs (for reasons I’m not sure).

The microUSB is connected via the connector found at the base of the phone. You can either charge your phone with a wall charger, or simply connect the USB to your PC. That definitely saves lots of hassles for me since I’m always with a PC.

The power button and the headset jack are located on top of the phone.

The five mega-pixel camera on this HTC Desire is quite impressive. I’m not saying that it’s comparable to the Sony Ericsson Satio or the LG Viewty Smart. However, the camera proves to be sufficient for a mobile photographer.

The camera interface has a number of options to tweak to improve your photos. The brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness can be adjusted through a simple touch on the menu tab. Besides, the ISO settings and other photography effects like sepia, negative and posterize effects can be set too.

This phone has a pretty impressive specification which can be found here.

Generally, I can’t provide too much information on this phone as I’ve not finished exploring this great new phone of mine yet. However, I’ve no regrets of getting it.

Official HTC website

, , ,

12 responses to “HTC Desire… quietly brilliant”

Aha weird, a friend of mine just bought it as well XD
    anyway im suprised, i tought that youd go for the iphone, dont know why ^^”
    but this phone is great!

Looks really nice. I think I need something like this soon, and I don’t really want to go with the iphone.

@Yi,
      Yesh! I prefer Android. Furthermore, this new HTC has 1GHz SnapDragon Processor which is way faster than the one in iPhone 3GS which is available here now.

it’s google! it’s Android.

like that too, kind of regretting me buy non-OS phone, Samsung Star.

@divinelight,
      You said it man! It’s andriod’s and apple’s world now. I wonder if Windows Mobile would make it, I’m not sure. Seriously, you should try one of the two mentioned. I personally prefer Google, since I’m not an Apple fan (yet). :)

4. B-Mecha says:

mind to tell me how much u bought the phone? I’m tempted for a nice android enabled phone! :D

After trading in my old phone, and since I’m re-contracting with the same mobile provider, I managed to get it at around 390++. Now, it seems like Starhub is offering an attractive deal if you can re-contract/sign-up with them.

I’m actually very impress with the camera of this phone. The photo quality is very good.

5. Joette Zajac says:

Bought a new Desire about a month ago as a business phone however am very disappointed , firstly i would have about 900 contacts on my prior XDA and was able to view by business or individual, not so on Desire only by individual which is of no use particularly with no search option either. Android 2.2 is supposed to have search facility but not different view option launch date seems to differ each time . Battery pretty good approx 18 hrs medium usage. Wireless bluetooth poor, paired with parrott car kit ok for day or so however won’t connect even by unpairing and pairing new, same issue with bluetooth headset……..any ideas

I can’t really comment on this since I’ve not really gone through each and every features of the phone yet. However, have you tried searching in the market apps? Android phones are highly extensible through apps (in a way, similar to iPhone). I’m quite sure that you might find the apps that provide the feature you need (hopefully) :)

6. I got myself one of these top class phone. Have you got the Rockplayer app?

@Troy, I just did a search on RockPlayer app on the MarketPlace. It seems to be the first app that supports DivX huh. I shall try it out real soon (downloading now).