Canaan of Canaan Series (Good Smile Company)

June 22nd, 2010 16 Commented

Check out this promotion photo! I fell in love with Canaan instantly after seeing her photo. Her dynamic pose, depicting her being in the middle of an intense battle, and well-matched colors made me pre-ordered her immediately. She was also the main reason of the Alphard purchase since they come in as a pair.

Canaan is the main character in the Canaan series, who is an elite assassin and mercenary. She was adopted by Sham when Canaan was the only survivor of a village that was annihilated during a war in the Middle East. Under the training of Sham, Canaan became a skilled marksman and an expert in combat. In addition, Canaan developed deep respect for her mentor during the course of her training as an assassin. However, Canaan and Sham were betrayed by one of Sham’s former student, Alphard during a mission. Hence, Sham was killed in that mission and that left Canaan filled with fury and a deep quest for revenge.

Canaan is always spotted with a red halterneck, brown pants and a Beretta Px4 Type G semi-automatic handgun. She also possesses a special ability to use the synesthesia to differentiate the enemies from civilians during her combats. On left arm is a red armband which covers a black tattoo which forms a picture of a snake when combined with Alphard’s arm tattoo.

This figurine of Canaan was sculpted by Kunihito Iwamoto. It stands approximately 200mm in height and costs about 8,800Yen (including tax). Here is a series of shots taken from various angles. I also included two wallpapers (the following and the last photos) which I hope you’ll like them.

Wallpaper: [1600×1200] [1680×1050]

The dynamic pose looks very similar to the prototype, if not of an exact copy. Canaan looks like she is dodging bullets, like Neo in the Matrix (use your imagination;)), and firing at the same time.

From the photos, you can see the nicely sculpted creases on her red halter-neck shirt and brown pants.

Her cape seemed to have disrobed due to her swift actions. The cape also seems to be swirling, which the manufacturer has done a good job in making the curves and creases on the cape.

Her back is nicely sculpted as well, where you can see the shadows and the curves of her muscles and spine. She looks slender and toned as the same time, which I guess was developed from the course of her training. My wife would love to have her figure. Shhhh…. ;)

Once again, you can see the flow of the cape is rather generous and beautiful. They have managed to make Canaan look like she’s going to fall down anytime with that angle of her raised right knee.

I think the shading of her cape and pants are well done as well. It makes her look like she is in fluid motion. Notice the shadows on both her cape and pants seems to reflecting at the same angles, making this fall look more realistic.

However, the figure is far from perfect due to the poorly painted colors, especially on her head. Unlike what we have seen in the promo photos, instead of having the healthy rosy tint on her skin, she looks rather pale. Also, her fringes, on her left, are very coarse. I expected Canaan to provide me the satisfaction I received from Saber Lily Distant Avalon. However, with Good Smile Company’s current QA test, I can’t expect more.

More pictures of Canaan in action against the red and dry soil.

I like her serious expression while she wields her gun into the air. Her eyes are slightly slanted on the ends to give that furious look as well.

Her mouth is also half open, which she could be saying “ah” after firing a few bullets.

The bangle on her wrist is rather small as compared to the one shown in the promo photos. However, that doesn’t bother me too much. On the contrary, I like sculpted details of the gun and hands. She even has lightly colored nails.

Similar to Alphard’s, the boots are rather simple. It seems like they are making her wearing Dr. Martens’ boots. I wonder if she wears heels in the anime. Hopefully I can catch at least an episode of the Canaan Series this weekend.

As you can see, Canaan is held by a metal peg (similar to that of Alphard). To my knowledge, there are two ways to insert the peg to securely hold Canaan, one causing her to lean lower and the other higher (the one you see in the photos). The lower one doesn’t go well with the cape and therefore, I’ve not taken any photos the lower pose. As for the base, it looks similar to that of Alphard’s, which can be made more realistic but, instead of paint the bricks one by one, the base seems to be sprayed over with colors.

If you notice clearly, there is a red line just above her eye. I guess that gives a deeper eyelid crease and also a tense expression, when she is in red hot action!

Her green necklace looks quite luminous and shiny too. I wonder if that is that the only accessory she wears.

Canaan is pointing straight at you. I like this shot, where I can imagine “Bam!” in my head anytime.

Here’s the wallpaper where I have the set the background to be less red. This is for those who cannot stand too much red shouting back at them while working at the computer. Enjoy!

Wallpaper: [1600×1200] [1680×1050]

If you like what you see, you can still purchase her, Canaan, through here.

Canaan Official Website

16 responses to “Canaan of Canaan Series (Good Smile Company)”

Nice, I like the shooting pose :)

Oh the box arrived safely this time, its like Canaan tried to assassinate Alphard during her shipment XD

Canaan looks a bit more feminine than Alphard
    I like that her upper body looks so petite
    Her red top with the naked back is nice and sexy =D
    The red armband/glove is a nice detail as well as the painted nails and the two colored gun is also very cool.
    When I buy a figure from a show that I’ve watched, it is very important to me that the figure comes really close to it’s origin.
    GSC made a good job there with Canaan.

As well as Alphard I like the “tough girl” look, (I really love these boots).
    I have the opinion here should be more figures with trousers.
    The colors of the base are not so nice, they could have put more effort to this paintjob.

The backround in your pictures is really fitting and your close up pictures of her face are really nice,too

Canaan looks very good, but I like Alphard a bit more I think its mainly because of the face expression.

LOL! I’ll be crying big time if the box got damaged again.

I definitely agree with you, on the feminine side and sexier bare-back of Canaan. Canaan looks younger too judging from the two figures. I’d rate it one of the best figure this year if GSC did a better paint-job. In fact, I’m satisfied with every details — the wonderful pose and little nice details at every part of the figure — except for the colors.

For me, I prefer Canaan to Alphard. Canaan is the reason I bought Alphard :)

3. BioToxic says:

I really wanted to order this Canaan, but I decided to go for the cheaper figma option. The prototype photos of her looked amazing.

But when she eventually released and I saw some of her reviews she looked completely different. I’m relieved I didn’t order her now, since I’m quite disappointed how she turned out – especially for her price.

She’s still a great figure though, don’t get me wrong. Her pose looks dynamic and her clothing fluid. GSC have done a brilliant job of capturing Canaans character.

I bet Alphard and Canaan look awesome when displayed together?

Yeah, the prototype photos are really deceiving! What disappoint most of us, I guess, is the paint-job. I’ve not complains on other aspects of the figure. In fact, the more I look at her, the more I’m glad I got it. She looks good in photos too, when taken with the right backdrop of course.

I’m lumping everything into my ikea’s glass detoff-shelf currently. Having to squeeze them in with other figures, I still can’t have them facing each other as the space is really small. I might have a post of them together if I could find the right spot and location to do the photo-shoot.

4. Tier says:

I like how the two figures complement each other with one having a sexy back and the other having a sexy stomach. I think I prefer Alphard’s design more, though; the brown pants don’t look right to me. Alphard’s got style but Canaan seems kinda confused, wearing utilitarian desert-drab trousers and work boots with a fire engine red halter top.

*LOL* Ok, I was cheated by the promo pictures. I bet many were. Canaan is very much younger than Alphard I supposed and hence, she isn’t very much developed yet — looking like a kid here, without the sense of fashion?! — I’ve not really watched the anime yet so that’s my guessing and personal opinion only. Alphard, on the other hand, has the look and figure a of mature lady. I prefer chested-lady to washed-board. The paintings and pose of the promo pictures caught my eyes, hence, here they are, Canaan and Alphard. :)

I saw this figure earlier today at a figure store in Taipei. It looked really good!
    I could imagine this going really well with Alphard.

Anyways, I love the photographs. The reddish rocks make a beautiful and fitting background, and I love that shot where Canaan is pointing her gun at you, and it feels like she is so close, the gun is blurred.

Hey Yi,

May I know where I could find a figure store in Taipei? Any near Ximending? The last time I visited there. I didn’t manage to find one at all.

I’m glad that you love the photos. I found out that those red soils were removed when I walked to the nearby bus-stop last weekend. I was fortunately enough to make use the location earlier as for photo-shoot. Frankly, I like Canaan pose very much. :)

• Yi says:

Hm… I usually go to Taipei Underground Mall. There are around 10 or so there, as well as many other anime related stores. It’s next to the metro. I don’t know how far it is from Ximending, but I think it’s fairly close. Taipei is only so big, and the metro covers everywhere.

Thanks Yi, I shall check them out the next time I visit Taipei. Hopefully, I can find them. But, I sure know they have lots eateries there :)

and again nice bg with the figure, the figure is great!
    nice shots :3

I like Canaan better than Alphard, she just looks so much cooler. I love how her back was sculpted, it looks really nice. I’m assuming the metal peg goes in pretty deep to prevent the figure from leaning.

@Nopy,
      Ah.. great minds have the same preference. *LOL* I was hooked on by the promo photos. As mentioned, she’s the reason for Alphard too. :)

And yes, the metal pegs for both Alphard and Canaan are very much secured deeply to keep them in their dynamic pose.