Shikinami Asuka Langley of Evangelion (Aizu Project)

June 28th, 2010 40 Commented

I was totally captured by the promotional photos of this figure, the uniform version of Asuka Langley Shikinami. The smile on her radiant face warms my heart whenever I take a glimpse at her. I’ve not watched any of Evangelion’s series or movies, which resulted in my little knowledge about it. However, I believe that Asuka is one of the more famous characters in the anime world.

I did a bit of research to know Asuka better. Asuka Langley Soryu is a 14-year old fictional character from the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise, known to be the second child of the Evangelion Project, and pilots the Evangelion Unit 02. She has several surnames due the changes they made to her character.

Being born as both German and Japanese descent, and raised in Germany, Asuka bears a Japanese name and an European appearance (her nationality is referred to as being technically American).

Her Japanese surname comes from the Japanese World War II aircraft carrier Soryu, while her German surname comes from the American World War II aircraft carrier Langley. As for her Rebuild surname, it came from the Japanese World War II destroyer Shikinami. Thus, she may be known as Asuka Langley Soryu or Asuka Langley Shikinami, depending on the manga/anime you’ve read/watched.

This figure belongs to the Rebuild of Evangelion series; hence, she is named Asuka Langley Shikinami.

Asuka’s burning red hair, embellished with A10 nerve clips (brain-computer-interface device worn by Eva pilots to aid in synchronizations with the Evas) complements her sizzling temper perfectly. However, she also suffers from being insecure and vulnerable. Thus, she puts on a mask of being independent and often enjoys intruding into other people’s personal space. This is especially so, in Shinji’s case. Being an Evanelion pilot, she takes pride in that honor and is also proud of her attractive appearance.

Now, we look at this beautiful figure from various different angles. The following photo resembles the promotional photo.

A slight turn was made to the figure and, of course, you notice the background was lighted up by sunlight.

Her cute pretty face charms me more and more as I look at her. To-date, she is my favorite Asuka figure out there, though I own only one currently. Did I mention that she is my first cold-cast figure too?

Being a 1/6 scaled figure, she stands approximately 260mm in height. Asuka is pre-painted and assembled kit, so if you’re like me, one with no in-born painting and assembling talents, you need not worry about the paint and glue! She costs about 16,800 yen.

Her skirt was sculpted to depict being blown up slightly giving you a glimpse of her sexy thighs, but not too much to keep you wondering what is she wearing underneath her skirt.

Her school bag doesn’t look stylish. It looks rather antique, like one of those bags being used by my parents during their school days. I wonder if anyone use this kind of bag now. I certainly haven’t seen any since 10 years ago. :)

Her wavy hair is detailed nicely in a way so it looks like it’s being lightly lifted up by the wind.

More details of her hair are shown here. Also, the front side of the skirt is being blown up too.

Ah! Isn’t that a tempting view? Don’t you want to see more? I bet purely seeing her sexy legs aren’t enough to curb our craving towards her sexiness huh. :)

More teasing from her sexy thighs. :)

Once again, we get to look at her face from a different angle.

That sweet innocent look on that face will definitely melt every heart. She certainly has melted mine. :)

A more detailed view of her looking right into your eyes and stretching her hand to hold yours, wanting to bring you into her world.

For the following photos, we take a closer look at some other parts of the figure. As you can see, her ribbon is also sculpted in a way that its being blown in a windy condition.

The creases on her skirt were sculpted in a way to make her skirt look like it was twirling.

The base is rather simple, some sort of a pavement like tile. I wonder if its to portray her walking home on a concrete pavement? But I wish Aizu would come up with a more exciting one platform.

As for the shoes, they look rather simple. I wonder if this is the way it is in the animation? Or its a lack of detail from the sculptor?

If you take a proper look the bag, it’s rather exquisite, with the little toy hanging at the side of the bag. So sorry for the dust on the bag, I forgot to clean it before taking this photo. Dust, like little pest, clings onto our figures regardless how hard we try to keep them dust-free.

The little toy looks like a penguin too me, but one with a broad beak. The angle of this toy is hanging at an angle, away from the bag. Perhaps this is to give an impression that it is swinging while Asuka is twirling around.

Lastly, here are more close-up shots of Asuka. She is so darn KAWAII!!! I’m glad that I own her :) I’ve also made a few wallpapers out of the photos, which I hope you like them. Enjoy!

Wallpaper: [1600×1200] [1680×1050]

Wallpaper: [1600×1200] [1680×1050]

Wallpaper: [1600×1200] [1680×1050]

Official Neon Genesis Evangelion homepage

, , , , , ,

40 responses to “Shikinami Asuka Langley of Evangelion (Aizu Project)”

The details of this figure is pretty amazing. I really like that penguin toy. Her face is really cute as well.

@Yi, yes I must admit that she is truly one of the best Asuka figure I’ve seen so far and it’s 1/6 scale and cold-cast. :) I don’t know about the upcoming Asuka(s) though. Let’s see about it.

I like Asuka’s face, very cute and seems a bit slimmer from what I normally see. I like how there’s a Pen Pen hanging off her bag but wish it was done a bit nicer ^^;;. I like her flow, which is defined by her hair waving about.

So that’s called a Pen Pen? Great! I’ve been wondering what’s that called. Yesh! Asuka’s cute face definitely caught my eyes and was the reason of this purchase.

you’ve made some very nice and vivid pictures ;D
    what kind of tree is that in the background?

Thats such a nice Asuka figure at first the price was a shock but I think it’s resonable.

Her face looks so pretty and as well as the whole figure it really resembles her character from the show
    Until now I’ve watched everything from this franchise,the Evangelion Show even a few times.

the dust trap is mean sometimes you’ll only realize it after the shooting at the pc screen

thx for the Wallpapers

Thank you Fabienne. Frankly, I’ve no idea about the tree. I guess it’s some tropical trees (with orange flowers) which grow near my apartment. I found a nice matching pair of its flowers with Asuka hence, I tried to use it as a background.

Yeah, I know the price. It’s my most expensive figure this far. Initially, I was kinda worried if the figure would turn out good. I didn’t know anything about Aizu Project. It was my first time buying from them too. Since the figure looks good and it’s my first cold-cast too, I’m rather okay for this time. I’ve not gone as far as Tier did (800++USD for a figure)!!!

I’m really glad to hear she resembles the character well. Thanks again Fabienne.

Asuka looks a bit like Rin of FSN. Lovely pictures, I really like that tree in the background. ^^

you know what..
    you chose the perfect bg for this picture.
    it really suits with the hair of asuka.

Thank you Fabrice, I actually wanted to use the background for my K-On figmas. But I guess Asuka deserves more then them given the price and it’s cold-cast. :)

6. BioToxic says:

I was looking at her thinking “I remember this figure, but where from?”. Then I clicked, it was just the lighting throwing me. Her promo shots looked fantastic, but out in the sun she looks even better.

When she was first announced I was going to pre-order – then I saw the price. I would also love to have the sitting down Rei Ayanami by Aizu Project, but coldcast figures are just too expensive. This one -> http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10052434 (html works in comments?)

@BioToxic,
      I gotta agree with you. It was my first time purchasing a figure that cost more than 10k Yen. The promo shots are great but I didn’t know Aizu at all. However, the outcome is satisfying. Now, I need to find a good spot for her in the well-cramped Ikea shelf as she is currently left down at the bottom. :(

I’ve not seen the Rei of the link provided prior. She is sold out already!! IMO, Rei always portrays a seductive look. To buy another cold-cast I need to sell some old figures first. I’m needing more space now.

Also, thank you for the comments. :)

7. Persocom says:

Personally I’m not the least bit interested in Asuka, but your pictures are spectacular! She fits in so nicely with the surroundings and she does look like a great figure ^^

8. GREW says:

Well, isn’t that a nice Asuka ^^
    I like her, but 16000 yen for only one figure that looks so normal for. But the quality is really nice.

And I like your pictures ^^

@GREW, hmmm… I totally agree that 16k Yen is kinda expensive. However, I believe that’s the price for cold-cast. For my first cold-cast, boy… she is kinda bigger (1/6 scale) and heavier than those normal PVCs. The figure itself is nice however, I might be considering selling it when I need more space for later figures. She occupies a big space in my shelf. :(

Woah I love the pictures! The background really brings Asuka’s details out :D What I like is the pen pen toy swinging out. I am not really into figures but that is quite a nice detail!

Now to download some wallpaper ^^

I like Asuka too, even though I haven’t seen Evangelion either. Her bag does look a bit old, but I remember seeing similar bags when I was in Japan.

Yeah, the bag looks old. I wonder if it resembles the one in the anime movie. I’m trying to find the DVD and watch it to solve this concern which has been bothering me for some time now.

I never bought PVC/resin figure from aizu how about the painjob(well seeing the price 100USD+ it should be good) ??

Yep, it’s good. The painting is smooth, without any dots and specks. These little details can be kinda annoying at times. Also, they are very visible under camera lenses. Aizu didn’t let me down on my first item with them. :)

really like your photography, also with your background she is so cute.

13. Tier says:

The setting is perfect! Figure looks pretty good too. I’m curious how well the cold-cast material works; does it look good close up? I’ve got a polystone figure on order and I’m wondering how it’ll turn out (I’ve also got an older cold-cast figure and the paint looks very flat, though maybe the material isn’t to blame for that).

@Tier,

Thanks for the compliment. I don’t know about other cold-cast. For this one, I’m pretty satisfied with the sculpt and paint-job actually. Her hair and uniform are not mono-tone. Proper shade of paints are applied at the right places (but not too much, probably minimal or decently). But there are not much toning on the face, I guess most of the figures are don’t have too.

Since this is my first cold-cast, I don’t have any to compare with. I believe the quality varies from figures to figures too.

14. Ludovic says:

Nice bokeh !
    Asuka is sooo cute ! :3

15. bloo says:

Reading your introduction to the figure reminded me so much of how I got her. Like you, I saw the promo shots and thought, “Man that is one kickass figure.”

I was so impressed that I ordered her despite the price tag and the fact that I really had no idea about her character. She was also my first coldcast and I was really impressed by the quality of the material.

I’ve since watched the Rebuild movies and liked them enough to order Aizu’s Rei School Uniform Ver. from amiami. They list her as backordered, but they were able to obtain her for me after a week or two.

Fantastic shots by the way. The colours really pop. I gotta try something like that with mine one of these days.

@bloo,

I guess everyone has their first time and the thrill of it seems to be a very good memory (for most I hope). It seems like we share the same experience huh.

Now, one thing that I’m lacking behind is that I’ve not watched the Rebuild movies yet. I probably need to catch it some time soon.

Also, thank you for visiting my humble blog. I’d to see your photos too. Do you have a blog? Cheers!

• bloo says:

Unfortunately, no, haha. I’m still very novice with photography but I am trying to improve. Hopefully one of these days I’ll be able to take photo’s as nice as yours are. Keep it up!

Thank you for your appreciation.
          I’ll work harder to produce better photo (hopefully).
          I’ve got several figures which I’ve not taken any photos for months already. Hope to find more time to do it.
          And I wish that I could see your work too someday. ;)

16. doriinatrix says:

Wow, what a beautiful figure~
    I don’t like Asuka, but Aizu Project really did a good job on her, with the colors and sculpt and everything. She looks well worth the cost.

Totally agree. I was kinda regret for getting her initially because of the price, and harboring the thoughts of selling her on e-bay. But, I’m glad and fine after seeing her and the outcome of the photos. She is really a good buy… now she is on the second level of my shelves. :)

17. alucard13mm says:

shes a rather nice figure, compared to a lot of asuka figures out there. btw XD does your wife get mad at you collecting figures? hehehe or is she an otaku as well. so whats on your first level of shelf?

Saber Lily and Momohime are at the first level, and I managed to squeeze a few nendoroids in too, mainly the K-On members. I’m a fan of K-On and Saber Lily.

My wife?! She is pretty cool with the idea of collecting figures. At times, she would suggest some photo-shooting places for me to try out them out with my figures. I can’t consider her as an otaku, but she watches K-On with me and she likes to influence her colleague to buy figures too. Hahaha… :)

• alucard13mm says:

awesome wife =3.. lol i keep hearing about saber lily being the best and one of the most expensive ones people get. i hope my future wife/gf would have an understanding for my hobby haha. but most likely not T_T..

Yep, Saber Lily Distant Avalon is awesome. I got her from E-Bay. If only, I come to know about figures earlier, I’d not have missed so many figures.

Actually, I’ve several more figures which are still kept in the boxes. I bet they will take my first level when I opened them. They are mainly Alter’s K-On members and Haruhi Suzumiya, the Gekishou Ver. I really need more shelves.

Though I’m not getting complaints from my wife, my mum (Asians stays with parents even after marriage) are constantly nagging at me. Zzzz…

18. PPCh says:

Ok, I want her!

19. […] If you are interested in seeing more Evangelion from Aizu Project you can check out one of their Asuka figures over at softwerkz. […]