100 Masters of Bishojo Paintings

July 25th, 2010 27 Commented

If you adore the girls in Japanese anime, especially those with impossibly large alluring eyes, long cascading hair and svelte bodies, then this is a book not to be missed. Entitled “100 Masters of Bishojo paintings”, it showcases 500 digital illustrations of bishojos by 100 Japanese masters. Bishojo, a Japanese term that refers to beautiful girls, aptly describes this compilation of digital works. Range Murata, a revered digital artist, did magic on the book’s cover design as well.

There is a unique blend of artists featured in this eye-popping compilation as they have included both professional and amateur illustrators. Never mind that some of the professional illustrators may create covers for novels of the young adult genre. Even the professional character designers for games and animations have had a chance to showcase their talents in this book. The amateur artists have showed no less talent as well, with some of them being independent comic publishers and some enjoy displaying their works on pixiv ( a popular user-generated illustration website in japan).

This book is definitely worth keeping for its a showcase of talent that both Japan and art lovers can surely be proud of. It would be a good resource for artists who need inspiration as well. Readers of this book will get to have another treat – cool desktops wallpapers are available for downloading with the ID and password provided in this book.

I’ve taken some random shots of the pages found in the book. Some of the pictures come with a click-able link to zoom clearer into the page. I hope that I can give you some glimpses of the wonderful and great works by the artists.

These illustrations are brought to you by Komeko Amazio. A graduate of Musashino Art University, he started doing illustration jobs since high school. He has done countless illustrations since then.

The following illustrations are done by Kurojishi. With a motto of “A lion does his best even when he gets a rabbit”, he draws with the attitude that male characters are "cool/tough", female characters are "cute/brave".

These illustrations are really breath-taking. You Shiina‘s recent work includes illustration for "Sakuradareset" from Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko (Kadokawa Shoten), etc.

Haruaki Fuyuno‘s stunning work includes

• illustrations for "Houkago no Majutsushi" from Sneaker bunko (Kadokawa shoten),
  • cover illustration for "Saishuukousatsu Umineko no naku koroni” (Ascii Media Works),
  • PC game "Umineko no naku koroni” Episodes 2, 3, 4, and
  • also sleeve illustration and design for the game’s ending theme CD.

I particularly like this one (by Miche). The illustrations are great and similar to those of 3D arts found in computer and electronic games.

Born in 1984, Yasu‘s representative work includes illustrations for the "Tora-Dora!" series (Ascii Media Works) and "Oto x Maho" series from GA bunko (Softbank Creative), etc.

The well-known Suzumiya Haruhi series… I’m sure Noizi Ito is no stranger to the anime world. She has been drawing for PC games and recently works mainly in illustration for novels and character designs.

A member of TENKY CO.,LTD. corp, Satoyasu draws illustrations for "Kyoukaisenjou no horizon" from Dengeki bunko and "Obstacle Overture" which is being serialized in "Dengeki Bunko MAGAZINE" (both from Ascii Media Works).

Aoi Nishimata is an illustrator and multi-media creator. She started her activity as a doujinshi creator when she was in junior high school. Her original way of expression and unique pictures have attracted attention. One of her representative works is the game and animation "SHUFFLE!".

Enjoy what you have just seen?

You can buy 100 Masters of Bishojo Painting at Play-Asia.com.

Alternatively, if you are residing in Europe or U.S., you can get your copy from Amazon. Simply click on the advertisement.

So, what are you waiting now?

Get a copy and experience the beauty and style of the paintings in the book. :)

27 responses to “100 Masters of Bishojo Paintings”

Looks great :) ,why they not just put single image in one page not rezise them small :(

Aya, the contents of the book are indeed great. Like mentioned, most of the illustratios are breath-taking.
      About them appearing small, I think it was my fault for trying to squeeze two pages in one small image. I’m very sorry for that. Actually, viewing from the book itself is a great experience, they aren’t small. :)

I think I saw a copy of this book in Japan. I would’ve picked it up, but I had so many artbooks already that my luggage was reaching the maximum weight allowed on the plane :(

Aww Nopy… You sure bought lots of goodies back from Japan huh. It’s ok. It’s available online. I hope you would post some images of your artbooks too. :)

Wow i love the art O.o
    but there is so many things on my plan to buy >.<
    dam it… this book is sure worth having.

Ah i know that feeling of weaving through a good art book. Akin to me weaving through all those gundam modelling magazines! Seeing in person is so much better than online I feel!

I own that book too,it was my first artbook
    I wanted something modest and that’s what I got with this book.

I really like the illustrations in it,with these cute anime style girls.only a handful of the pictures didn’t matched my taste, but hey the other illustrations are great ;)

Im still searching for a way to present it properly in one of my rooms, only putting it into a bookshelf would be lame.

*Hi-5* This is my first art-book too. Currently, I put it into a plastic bag to fence of the dust. I’m wondering where I should put it too…

6. BioToxic says:

Looks really nice. If it was available locally I’d consider picking this up; importing probably not. I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled though.

Hmmm.. I hope it comes to your local bookstore too. I bought this from Kinokuniya, though Play-Asia offers free delivery to Singapore too. :)

Pretty cool for your first artbook. Thanks for sharing. I guess it would be really nice if you have a lot of pretty artbooks as another collection. Maybe I’ll also buy one soon. ^^

I have this artbook too. It’s so beautiful and it features some of my favorite artists: Kei, Aoi Nishimata, Ito Noizi, Range Murata. Masters indeed.

9. Persocom says:

Indeed that is a beautiful book. So much art and so many pages. I might just have to hunt this one down when I have some extra money :3

Hi Persocom,

For anime-lover, I believe this is a must have book. But again, I’m not an anime pro and I’m always lagging behind when it comes to anime. So, I can’t justify much. However, I believe many of those anime reviewers have it (like Yi, Fabienne,etc). Do get it if you could :)

10. heathorn says:

I like this kind of book. Is it only available in Europe?

11. Tier says:

Looks like a pretty cool book! It seems like a good way to get acquainted with a lot of artists that you might not otherwise know of. I especially like Fuyuno’s art, he puts a lot of love into drawing guns. And cute girls.

Totally agree, I didn’t know many of them (even I know the anime). I’m glad that I got the book. Now, I even visited some of their sites. Many of them are surprising young. Darn talented!

12. Psycho says:

I saw this artbook on imouto.org.
    I like this artbook from what I saw from imouto. But didn’t have chance to buy this artbook, yet.

@Psycho,
      This is a very nice artbook indeed. The illustrations are simply amazing and breath-taking. Try to get it if you can. You won’t regret.

13. […] Titre : 100 masters of Bishojo Painting Auteur :  Japanese Illustrators Éditeur : BNN Shinsha Date de sortie : 2009 ISBN : 978-4-86100-666-1 Tarif : 2 380 Yen Reviews : Dannycho, Hunting the Elusive, Micky2be, Nattoli, Softwerkz […]