Dian Xiao Er @ Ang Mo Kio Hub, Singapore

August 31st, 2010 19 Commented

If you enjoy savoring roast duck, then I think it’s a must that you make a pit-stop at Dian Xiao Er. One of its best selling dishes is their roast duck, which is roasted to perfection before it is served on your plate. Before patronizing this place, I always thought that they serve only duck meat and nothing else. Or perhaps, the other dishes would taste average. But I was wrong. In fact, the rest of their dishes are equally delicious! Another plus point is that they do have a good variety of dishes that you will be spoiled for choices.

Dian Xiao Er

The decor of the place is styled after a Chinese inn for tired travelers to take a pit-stop and rejuvenate themselves before continuing their long journey. The rustic style of this place complements the herbal dishes crafted out by the chefs.

Deco of Dian Xiao Er

Deco of Dian Xiao Er

We decided to go for the family set meal — a total of six dishes. The good old roasted peanuts were served as we wait for our dinner. I must say that the serving time was reasonable, not awfully long to leave you with growing hunger pangs.

Roasted peanuts

The first dish to be served was the pork ribs. It was a little spicy but nevertheless it was very flavorful with a nutty taste.

Pork ribs

The sliced fish was cooked to the right consistency. Top it up with fragrant soy sauce and coriander leaves, it tasted great!

Sliced fish

The roasted duck was served with a herbal sauce which contains Angelica Root. This herbal combination makes it different from other roasted duck dishes found at other places. The meat was succulent and tender with a thin crispy skin on the outside. Absolutely tasty! But if you are not a fan of anything herbal based, then this is something you may not enjoy. It is said that they use Cherry Valley ducks of the finest quality, which is bred naturally by the lakeside. I also read from their website that they are first marinated with a myriad of herbs before roasting them at an appropriate temperature to keep the skin crisp.

Roasted duck

The stir fried vegetables was slightly starchy but tasty. A pinch of garlic was added to it too.

Stir fried vegetables

The corn soup was clear, light, sweet and refreshing. I like that fact that it wasn’t oil and the corn given was sweet and crunchy! Two pieces of lean meat was served as well, which I thought was generous of them.

Corn soup

Finally, the rice was cooked nicely as well and one bowl of rice was just not enough with all these mouth watering dishes! My wife had two bowls of rice as well. Haha. I would definitely go back to this place again to try out the other dishes as well. ;)

Rice

Official Dian Xiao Er website

19 responses to “Dian Xiao Er @ Ang Mo Kio Hub, Singapore”

I also frequent Dian Xiao Er ^^ Overall most of their dishes are superb!

The duck and the ribs look good, but the dishes look a bit small. Were you full afterwards?

@Nopy,
      Hmm… yup, they do look small for the us (three in total) but each has a bowl of soup. As a result, we went home very full… or should I say … bloated ;)

thats a nice looking restaurant, the interior looks cool.
    I don’t know if I would like most of the dishes you’ve shown
    but at least I would order the tasty rice XD

4. B-Mecha says:

It is definitely great! I went there few times and the duck never fail me :D. Best roasted duck in Singapore so far!

Wow B-Mecha, you made a very strong statement there. Dian Xiao Er should seriously considering giving you free meals. *LOL* I’m glad that most people think the same about it’s awesome taste. :)

mmmm… im drooling and i even just ate lol i like the interior design, tables and seat are very fitting.

pork ribs and roasted duck is so good :P

@rockleelotus,
      Those are the typical design of a Chinese inn, aka 客栈 in Chinese. Further confirmation from B-Mecha and chubbybots, I can assure you that they are great!

Roasted duck!!! Now I’m craving for some… The fish dish looks good too.

7. Marzz says:

I always pass by this restaurant when I am at AMK hub. But never once went in to try.
    Maybe next time I will…. How’s the pricing like?

Ah… you should experience it once at least. For the three of us, I spent about SGD80 for the family set meal and three glasses of chrysanthemum tea. I think it’s cheaper if we went for ala-carte though. I’ve patronized the restaurant more than ten times I guess, mainly the one in Causeway Point and AMK Hub. But, I don’t go there very often because there are still so much food out there awaiting for me to try. :)

Once again, those look delectable.
    Anyways, I was watching Top Chef, a show about fine dining, the other day, and the episode introduced some of the cuisine in Singapore. If I ever get a chance to visit Singapore, I am definitely going on an empty stomach.